Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 6- A Stranger

To the black man with the scorched skin who at a second gaze burned me to ashes

it is the right time to find you beautiful,
the sun is scantily clad
DC is the city of hot
hot humid nights
and men the color of things that got hot too quickly

I'm still shedding all the ugly i find in me
So it took a second glance
maybe you heard the exclamation

You are a victim
or healing tool,
product of a lie
or pedestal

My throat quivers tsunamis
"I cannot love a man who looks like me"**
Your skin is a slap across an insecure face,
the burning remnants of thinking:
the sun touched too much,
too much.
It is too easy to see the ugly put in me
We like that hard kind of beauty
So, today
you are that purpose-full type of pretty

Wonder if you heard the fright before the exclamations,
the stutter
the pause
the scoff

Maybe
you tell women you meet
that they should love you
for how your skin glistens
for the faint reflections found
in the opaques trapped in your outline

Maybe
they are all lily white
or better still
the right not almost but quite

I wonder if you will ever believe like they do
Like i say, because I would like to
You, beautiful
it was a ripe day to find you

**ade is fucking booooomb
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deadass in the middle of the 1st one realized I wanted to write about the beautiful African at marshalls.. ye..my cashier, smh



I imagine the shaken sanctuaries
and fallen figures
of your country
are bruised and engraved
over your heart
under your name tag

Dear stranger,
I did not ask your name because
I was afraid it would be beautiful
or that the way you said it would make it so

Did not ask your country because
I am sure it is entirely too close
to my first love's
to bring me any peace

By the proud of your nose
and the faint of your eyes
I'm pegged on certainty of your Somali

And you can surely tell I have a country,
too far from this one
to not be called home,
or mother
--land

I am not proud about anything
around men like you
I am glad you did not ask
The act,
as if all the Africa had been poured out of me,
made it easier to face
something other than yours
I cannot look you in your eyes

I would like my bag

and receipt

and permission
to leave

Thank you.








No comments:

Post a Comment